Carbon monoxide poisoning

Every year approximately 50 people die in the UK from carbon monoxide poisoning. Most of these are young people or students sleeping in a room with a faulty gas fire or boiler. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, dizziness, chest pains and nausea.

In a medical emergency phone 999. If you are worried that you or a friend are suffering from CO poisoning, or if you smell gas get help immediately – ring National Gas Emergency, on 0800 111999, who will send someone out free of charge to check it and make it safe.

By law, if you live in rented accommodation, your landlord has to have all gas appliances checked and serviced every year and with each new tenancy, by a properly registered person (i.e. with “Gas Safe”). The landlord should be able to show you a certificate. If you think they have not done this, get advice from one of the organisations listed.