Need some support where you live?

Living independently can be difficult, especially if it’s your first time, or if you haven’t had a home of your own for some time. You might want support in practical things, for example because you are having problems with rent, benefits or arrears, or need help with budgeting and other skills. You might need someone to talk to about personal stuff, or to contact other services that can help you.

There are also workers from tenancy support schemes who can help you longer term to get yourself on the right track and manage things for yourself. See below.

York Housing Assocation Homeless Prevention Service run drop-in sessions for anyone needing tenancy support (not just their own tenants) at West Offices, Bell Farm, Acomb and Lindsay Avenue. Ring for times of sessions.

Tenancy support schemes

A tenancy support worker is someone who can meet you at your own home every week or so to help you sort things out. They can help with getting started in your new home, dealing with ongoing things that come up, and help you learn the skills you’ll need long term to live independently.

Tenancy support schemes can help whether you are in private rented accommodation, or have your own tenancy (or own your own home). You may be referred to a tenancy support worker if you are being helped to find someone to live by another organisation, but otherwise, ask someone at the Council’s Housing Options Team at Customer Services.

If you are in a hostel, you’ll have a support worker. It’s important that you meet with them regularly or it can affect your accommodation.

If you are a York care leaver then the Pathway Team should offer you support about housing or any other issue until you turn 21.

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant you can also contact your Estate Manager for support, or ask to be referred to a tenant support worker for longer term help.