Problems where you live

You might have problems in the place you are living, for example:

You have rights which protect you as a tenant. If you share living space with your landlord, they have to give you ‘reasonable notice’ to quit.

If your landlord lives elsewhere, you have to be given correct written notice, and if you refuse, they have to go to court. In either situation, stay put, and get advice from one of the places below. (If you are a Council tenant contact your estate manager first). Otherwise get advice from the Council’s Housing Options Team or one of the following:

Housing Standards and Adaptations Team – if you are in private rented accommodation and are being harassed or threatened by your landlord, you can contact Housing Standards for advice. They may be able to contact your landlord on your behalf. If you’re worried about the health or safety of your accommodation you can also report it to them and they may be able to take action.

Shelter helpline and website- see here for details

Pheby and Co Solicitors and Keyhouse also offer legal advice – see here for details.

Citizens Advice York (CAB) run a Housing Debt Project which can help if you’re in danger of losing your home because of rent arrears or debt problems.

Being taken to court?

If your landlord is taking you to court to get you out of your home (eviction or repossession) there is usually an independent and free housing adviser from Keyhouse at York County Court on housing possession days. It is best to get advice beforehand from Citizens Advice York (CAB) or Key House to make sure you have support at the hearing. Arrive in good time and take all paperwork you have been sent.