If you are caring for children

You may be able to claim Healthy Start Vouchers. See here.

You should be able to claim Child Benefit. To claim, fill in the form at www.gov.uk or ring the Child Benefit helpline.

Most parents also claim tax credits, depending on their income. There are two types of tax credit, and they are claimed together from the Tax Credits helpline.

You can claim Child Tax Credit whether or not you are working.

To be able to claim Working Tax Credit, you or your partner need to be working 24 hours or more a week, with one of you working at least 16 hours per week. There are some exceptions to this rule – see advice. If you are a single parent, you need to be working 16 hours or more per week. Working Tax Credit can also pay up to 70% of your childcare costs.

If you are on Universal Credit and you have a baby or become responsible for a child, an extra amount will be included in your award.