If you can’t work because you are sick

If you are working when you become sick, your employer must pay you Statutory Sick Pay (if you normally earn at least £112 per week on average). After 28 weeks you must claim ESA.

• Statutory Sick Pay is £89.35 per week

If you are out of work when you become ill, or unable to work because of illness or a long-term condition or learning disability, you will need to tell your Work Coach if you are on Universal Credit, or claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if not. To start a claim ring the Jobcentre Plus new claims helpline or fill in the form at www.gov.uk.

You will usually need a sicknote from a doctor and should be assessed by a Jobcentre appointed doctor within 3 months of starting your claim (though this may take longer locally). If you do not agree with their decision, ask for it to be looked at again. If you are still not happy with the decision, you should appeal. Get advice.