If you have a disability (whether or not you work)

Benefits are available if you have a disability, or if you are unable to work because of a disability. There is, for example, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which is for people age 16+ who have limited ability to carry out daily tasks or have limited mobility. It is paid on top of wages if you are in work or other benefits such as Universal Credit or ESA if you are not. It can increase the amount of other benefits that you get (e.g. Housing Benefit).

To start a claim, ring the Jobcentre Plus PIP claims helpline. They will write for more information about your condition, and you’ll usually be called to an assessment.

Working Tax Credit can also be claimed by people 16+ who have a disability and are working at least 16 hours per week.