If you need help with paying your Council Tax

Council Tax is a tax on houses and flats. Most home-owners and tenants over 18 have to pay it. However if you live in a shared house it should be paid by the landlord. If you live by yourself or you are the only person eligible for Council Tax in your household you can apply for a 25% reduction. If you are under 18 you are exempt from paying it.

If you are on Universal Credit a low income, you can claim Council Tax Support towards your Council Tax bill. If you are on Income Support, income-based JSA or income-related ESA you should get 77.5% Council Tax Support in York. If you are working but on a low income, your Council Tax Support will be reduced depending on your earnings and any other income.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, apply for Discretionary Council Tax Support, which may be able to help depending on any hardship. Look at york.gov.uk (‘council tax discretionary reduction scheme’).

Most students, apprentices and youth trainees are exempt from paying Council Tax. Rules covering students can be complicated, so get advice.

If you’ve applied for Housing Benefit this includes an application for Council Tax Support as well. Otherwise phone Council Tax Support to start a claim.