A healthy diet is one that is balanced and varied and includes:
- plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables – it’s recommended that you eat at least 5 portions a day
- lots of high fibre, starchy foods (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes)
- some protein – cheese, beans and pulses, nuts, fish, lean meat (if you eat them, otherwise find out about other sources)
- a little fat – choose olive oil, sunflower oil and margarine
- some dairy food – yoghurt, cheese, milk
- but doesn’t include much sugar, salt or fat!
If you have any concerns about your weight or diet you should speak to your GP. For more information about healthy diet and healthy weight look at nhs.uk/livewell/healthy-eating.
See also ‘emotions and eating‘.