Supported housing schemes

In the longer term, supported accommodation may be an option if you are not ready to live independently straight away. If you move into one of the following, you’ll have a worker who will look at your support needs with you. How quickly you move on will depend partly on how well you are managing; for example your practical skills, if you pay your rent or rent contribution on time, your behaviour etc. If you are 16 or 17 see here as well.

You will need to be referred for any supported housing, by one of the organisations here; there is usually have a waiting list for supported housing.

Howe Hill for Young People is usually the first supported hostel that young people move into. It is for 16–21 year olds who are homeless (as well as for young people in care and care leavers). Priority is given to 16/17 year olds. They also has a unit for young parents age 16/17 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, to assess their independent living skills. Howe Hill has  18 bedrooms and also provides education and support to help people learn independent living skills and achieve long term goals. When you are ready for more independence, workers will help you plan your next move; for example another supported housing project or independent accommodation.

SASH Supported Lodgings offers supported accommodation to young people aged 16–24 as a lodger in the home of a trained volunteer, from one month up to two years.

Occasionally young people will be offered a room at Arc Light or Peasholme which both provide accommodation for adults aged 18+, with support to make the next step. The Avenues has supported accommodation for people who have mental health problems alongside housing problems.

Restore offers shared accommodation for single people age 18+ in one of their houses around York – with or without support. This can be short or medium term, to help you get ready for your next step – usually into private rented accommodation. You will need to be referred.

YACRO offers accommodation for men and women 18+ in their hostels and shared houses. This is for ex-offenders and those at risk of re-offending. Speak to your probation worker or Salvation Army about a referral.

What happens next

Your next step after supported accommodation could be your own tenancy, private rented or a move to more independence – for example SASH Supported Lodgings, Scarcroft or Peasholme. Your worker will discuss your move on plans when they think you are ready. Going through supported accommodation may give you priority for a permanent Council or Housing Association tenancy when you are ready to move into your own place.