Planning Your Future – getting advice

You may have left education but are not sure about your next step. You may be thinking about an apprenticeship, or about returning to education but not sure what to study. You may have ideas about a future career but don’t know the best route to take, or been working for a while but want a career change.

Getting some advice from a specialist adviser can help you explore the different options open to you and what direction to take. If you’re still in education, you may be able to see someone at your school or college. Otherwise, get advice from the following:

National Careers Service have local advisers for people 19+ (or 18+ if you are referred by the Jobcentre) who can offer you one to one advice about anything to do with work or learning. There is also a national helpline plus online information and advice for school leavers and adults. Online advice at the national website, or the local website has useful local information too.

There is a Connexions Adviser based at the Traveller and Ethnic Minority Support Service. Ruth Robson works with young Travellers 13–19 to help them stay in or access education, training or employment.

Check out and and – which all have information about different kinds of job roles and profiles, interactive features such as online careers chat or videos to give you inspiration or ideas.

If you’ve left higher education, you can get careers advice from your own university, and often the one nearest to where you live. You can also look at or

You may also be able to get help through the Disability Employment Adviser at Monkgate Jobcentre,  depending on any benefits you claim. They offer a range of support and help towards finding and keeping a job. Ask to be referred by your Jobcentre work coach.