Being in care / leaving care

If you have been in care past your 16th birthday and are a York care leaver, you can get advice, information and support on all issues until you reach 21 from the Pathway Team, part of Children’s Social Care. They can also support you if you want to return to education after 21, until you turn 24. Contact the Pathway Team for advice.

Speak Up provide advocacy for young people who are in care, going through the child protection system or wanting to make a complaint against the Council. If you are concerned or unhappy about something, or want someone to help you have your say, you can talk in confidence to them. They also run York Children in Care Council and which gives young people a chance to talk about being in care and how things could be improved.