Legal rights and legal advice

A girl with a backpack looks back to see two adults standing in a doorway
"When I turned 16, my birthday present was a suitcase. Next day I left home with my birth certificate and a case of clothes and letters. That was three years ago."

If you have a legal problem, Citizens Advice York (CAB) may be able to help, or look through this guide which has lots of information about your rights. Or try one of the following:

Citizens Advice for legal advice about lots of things including debt, benefits, housing, consumer law, work and education etc.

The University of York Law School Clinic offers a free legal advice service. Email or phone to leave a message with your name, contact details and a brief message and they’ll get back to you to let you know if they can help. This service runs from October to March each year only.

Civil Legal Advice is a free national helpline and online service, providing information about legal problems. If you are on a low income you may qualify for ‘Legal Aid’ and get free specialist advice about the following; housing and debt (if your home is at risk); special educational needs; discrimination issues; domestic abuse, family issues such as mediation or care proceedings. More information at (search for ‘civil legal advice’).

You can also search on for information about your rights in different areas of law.

To find a local solicitor, look at